Let us cultivate a culture of kindness. In that moment we are determining the outcome of the world.
– Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche
Shambhala is a global network of people who have confidence in the fundamental goodness and worthiness of humanity, and the power of that goodness to shift the social and environmental dynamics of our planet.
Everyone is welcome to attend community events and programs – there is no requirement to become a member in order to participate, though advanced classes and trainings do have prerequisites. Meditation instruction, public meditation, and some introductory offerings are available without charge, though donations are certainly appreciated.
As we become more involved, membership offers a way to practice generosity. It is a gesture of support to Shambhala principles and practices, and is expressed in the following four areas:
1. The Practice of Community/Society: Shambhala is a community that practices the teachings on basic goodness, and explores and develops a culture within our communities that embodies that profound principle. Membership offers active engagement in contemplating and building a different kind of society altogether.
2. Meditation Practice: A member of Shambhala makes a connection to mindfulness-awareness practice, and works to integrate that practice into daily life in order to create a foundation for healthy social relationships and an enlightened society. This connection may also be made through contemplative practices based on mindfulness-awareness.
3. Volunteer Service: A large majority of Shambhala activities are conducted by volunteers, and there are many ways to help. Members donate time to the local centre based on their interests and personal availability.
4. Financial Support: Shambhala is sustained through dues and donations. When you become a member, your financial contributions support the maintenance and growth of our centre as well as the international Shambhala community. Click here for guidance on choosing your level of financial contribution.
Membership is open to anyone from any background, culture, faith or walk of life – all are welcome!
What are the benefits of membership?
Connection with our community by becoming a member helps support your practice and strengthen your understanding of Shambhala Buddhism in many ways:
- Members receive ongoing meditation instruction with a personal meditation instructor
- Members are invited to community events, programs, and classes
- Membership pin
- Automatic membership in Shambhala’s world-wide network
- Access to member resources at www.shambhala.org
If you would like to become a member fill out the form below, or if you have questions about membership, contact our membership coordinator, Jenny Hannah at firstname.lastname@example.org